Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Ornaments

Family friends of our son's fiance hosted a beautiful couples wedding shower. I actually didn't take all the photos of it, as I had planned...but hope to get some photos from others later.

We had bought some things that each of our kids had on their own wedding gift registry when they were each given showers. But one of the things that we have given each of our girls for one of their showers was a decorative box filled with their Christmas ornaments from each of the years, as they were growing up.

It was fun to go through the ornaments and find them. There were a few years that I did not have specific ornaments with their names and year written on them, but for those years, in place of those, I was able to give them an ornament hand-crafted by their Lola (my mom), their Granny (my hubby's mom) or me.

So, for Heartthrob and Sweetie's shower, along with a couple of other gifts, we gave them his ornaments for the past 22 years...






I sewed little muslin pocket pouches for each with the year....


And then drew a little sketch on the front, so they could remember which one was for which year, especially when there was not an obvious year associated with the ornament.

Thank you for stopping in! Next week, I hope to share how I made these little pocket pouches.

***

Here  is artwork of two ornaments that were drawn for a family that has so many, many, many beautiful Christmas trees that they set up in their beautiful home every year.



I am joining in with Jenny's Alphabe-thursday's "O".!

And joining in with Kim @ Made in a Day's Blog Hop Social Linky #83!!

And joining in with Amy's Work It Wednesday Linky party! :o) 

And joining in with Jann's Share Your Cup Thursday! :o)



Signature for blog

16 comments:

LV said...

I do not believe there is one single thing that you could not do if you set your mind to it. What a great idea.

Esther Joy said...

Very creative! ...And also, a very sweet gift idea.

Unknown said...

This is such a great idea! We get ornaments for JDaniel, but I haven't been labeling them or putting them in a special container.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

What a nice O post! :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post for O and such a marvelous gift to give with loving memories included ~ carol, xo

Anonymous said...

How nice! My mother's family did that for many years. A hand-painted ornament was made for each member of the family with their name and the year. I still treasure those ornaments.

Monica said...

What an awesome idea! I'll have to remember that this Christmas when I put the ornaments away. I might just separate and hide away the kids' ornaments (at least the older 2) to give them later. I love the little bags you made for each one!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

What a lovely sweet idea! You're amazing...

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Maria, Surprised when I heard from you. It has been a long time.... Hope you all are doing okay. Still in GA?

I always love your sketches.. They are truly incredible... AND--having the 'memories' sketched out like that is so wonderful. Hopefully, they will be passed on from generation to generation.

Hugs,
Betsy

Granny-Guru said...

What a lovely gift! My sons asked for a couple of ornaments they remembered from growing up, but they were long gone. What lovely treasured memories to have kept.

SarahBeth said...

What a wonderful idea... and memory! I love that you have taken the time to make a personalized bag for each ornament! I started making an ornament a year with my son, but when my daughter came along that kind of fell by the wayside! So I have special ornaments made for them or by them, but not for each year. I have passed some of those on to each child, now grown, but I'm not ready to release all of them!!

Annesphamily said...

You are one extremely talented lady! I admire your beautiful artistic skill and I love this idea about the ornaments. What a precious gift. I love those little muslin pouches. Sweet! Have a beautiful weekend. Hugs Anne

Jenny said...

This is one of the best ideas ever...

Decorating our tree every Christmas was an overjoying occasion because the ornaments the kids received over the years were brought out...

Those ornaments were cherished in our family so I imagine your girls were overwhelmed with excitement when they opened this thoughtful gift!

The muslin pouches are a wonderful way to keep them organized...

I am looking forward to seeing how you made them.

Outstanding post for the letter "O"!

Thanks for linking.

A+





SarahGeorge said...

Very sweet post about gifting older children with their childhood treasures. What a lovely idea! Saw your link at Lorraine's gratefulprayerthankfulheart blog. Lovely sketches! You're so talented!

Pondside said...

What a lovely tradition! You are a thoughtful mum!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

What an amazing artist you are! I simply adore the one of the ornaments and the branch! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Related Posts with Thumbnails